Friday, October 2, 2009

Portugal


I am in a phone queue at work, which is fancy for saying that if someone in my department doesn't answer their phone it bounces them to the next person so that the customer is sure to get in touch with someone.

Although we usually just transfer the phonecall to the right representative because of the uniqueness of our accounts. So I am pretty familiar with getting random calls during the day that do not belong to me.

But today...

I got a really random call...

At about 10:00 my phone rang so I put on my headset and said my typical "This is Portia".

The person on the other end of the phone had a very deep Hispanic accent so I didn't actually catch his name and had a very difficult time understanding him. When I got into the correct frame of mind and began listening extra hard, I realized he had said "Good morning...well...I'm not sure if I should say Good Afternoon or Good Morning. I'm not sure what it is where you are!" I laughed and said "Good morning". He then asked me if I could "hear him good" because he is in Portugal!

As we continued our conversation - me trying to figure out what he needed and him trying to figure out how to tell me in English what he needed - he explained that he was looking for a part but he had no idea what the part number was. By the end of the conversation we were both giggling because he was having trouble understanding me and I was having trouble understanding him.

I finally told him to email me the piece of paper he was looking at to see if I could get more out of that.

His email was very sweet...

Dear Madam Porsha (sorry if misspelled)...

I finally got him directed to our distribution center that he should be talking to...in Mechelen Belgium.

Once we got off the phone I decided to google the city in Portugal he was in to see where exactly I had been talking to...
(thus the picture above)



It is amazing to me that I can be sitting in Memphis, Tennessee and randomly get a call from a nice man in Lisboa, Portugal.


So...I decided to do a random blog about Fransisco's call!
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive