My agenda for Labor Day:
10:00 - Go to Book Cellar
10:30 - Go to Mom's
10:45 - 1:00 - Play with Madi & Hang out with Mom
1:00 - Me and Madi head to Nashville to meet Shelby
3:30 - Make the long drive from Nashville to Memphis...alone
The actual events:
10:00 - Call Mom on my way to the Book Cellar
10:15 - Arrive at Book Cellar
10:19 - Receive the scariest call from Mom...ever
As I picked up the phone I could hear Madi screaming in the background.
Mom was crying and yelling, "Portia - you have to come right now! I've fallen and I think I've broken something...come get Madi!"
10:22 - I am halfway to Mom's house when I have to pull over to let an ambulance by...
at that point I knew Mom was really hurt and I began to panic.
I took the curves on Tennessee Ave at 60mph trying to get to her.
When I came around the corner and onto the dam I saw three cop cars, an ambulance, and all of our neighbors.
They told me that Mom had just been put in the ambulance and for me to go tell her that I was here and check on her, but the ambulance drivers never would open the door.
Then I noticed Madi sitting in her wagon with a crowd of people around her...
I walked over there and she flew into my arms, laid her head down and stopped crying.
The ambulance drove off with Mom in the back and I was torn as to what I should do next.
Do I go to the hospital?
Or do I just take Madi home?
I decided that the ER was not a great place for Madi, so we headed home.
It wasn't the greatest of circumstances, but I did completely enjoy the quality time that Madi and I had.
1:00 - Madi and I left for Nashville to meet Shelby.
Leaving with Madi was extremely hard for two reasons...
I really wanted to stay because I wanted to be with my mother.
I didn't want to be the one Madi cried after...I can't handle it.
Needless to say...our Labor Day did not go how we had imagined at all!
Mom had surgery later that evening as I was on the road to Memphis.
I did a lot of praying on the road that day- praying and crying,
and wishing that I did not live in Memphis.
Mom is doing better...
she has a gazillion screws in her ankle and two plates...
and she gets to walk around with a really cool walker!
Dad is getting the experience of a lifetime...
having to do dishes, laundry, cooking, everything!
Mom hates it, but I keep telling her that its good for him!
Enjoy it while it lasts Mom!
Wish I could be there for you!
Sending love and prayers...






No comments:
Post a Comment