Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Very Own Hummingbird

Do you have a sound that can immediately take you back to your childhood?

I do...


my Mam-Maw's humming.

Her humming isn't just plain, ordinary humming...
it sounds as though she is humming an opera song.
(in a good way of course)

The picture that always comes to mind when I hear it is...
Mam-Maw humming while hanging laundry on the clothes line in the backyard.

It doesn't matter what she's doing...
cooking, reading, working word search puzzles, watching TV, shopping at the mall...
You can always find her by listening for the humming.

A couple of nights ago Johnny and I were turning the lights out in the living room as we were turning in for the night. Mam-Maw had already said her "good nights" and had just gone upstairs.
I could hear her above us moving around getting ready for bed...and humming.
I looked at Johnny with a smile on my face and said,
"Do you hear that? That is the sound of my childhood at her house."

The sound of her humming has filled my house for the past three weeks.
And now her time in Memphis is coming to a close.

There are many nights that Johnny is either not able to come home (until I'm already in bed) or he does come home, but is only there physically (his mind is still in dental world).

It has been amazing to have Mam-Maw there as company during those nights that get pretty lonely.
I am thoroughly spoiled now!

We are so excited to make the trip home on Friday,
but it will be bittersweet for me.
I have cherished every moment that I have had her all to myself the past three weeks.

I'm going to miss you Mam-Maw!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive